Arkansas 1st Light Artillery Regiment



 


HISTORICAL NOTES:

    The 1st Arkansas Light Artillery, originally known as the Fort Smith Artillery (1861), was actually a pre-war volunteer militia company which was activated as part of the Arkansas State Troops and mustered out of state service following the Battle of Wilson's Creek. The unit immediately re-organized and re-enlisted for Confederate service. The unit spent the majority of the war in the western theater, fighting as part of the Confederate Army of Tennessee.

ROSTER:

The roster of this unit at the National Archives contains the names of 3 men. In keeping with the practice in the Confederate army of referring to an artillery battery by the name of its current commander, the First Arkansas Light Artillery was variously known as Provence's Battery, Humphreys' Battery and Rivers' Battery. The Compiled Service Records of the men are filed under Rivers' Battery, Microfilm Roll #41. BIBLIOGRAPHY:

REFERENCES:

REF: Crute - Units of the Confederate States Army
Sifakis - Compendium of the Confederate Armies

Featured Books & CD-ROMS