The Arkansas Infantry Regiment completed its organization at Smithfield, Arkansas, in June, 1861. Its members were drawn from the counties of White, Marion, Izard, Randolph, Fulton, Lawrence, Independence, and Arkansas. During the Battle of Shiloh, General Hardee nicknamed this unit "The Bloody Seventh." After participating in the Kentucky Campaign, it was brigaded under Generals Liddell and Govan, Army of Tennessee. In December, 1862, it was consolidated with the 6th Arkansas Infantry. This regiment served on many battlefields of the army from Murfreesboro to Atlanta, fought with Hood in Tennessee, and was active at Bentonville. It was formed with 905 officers and men, but after the conflict at Shiloh there were only 380 present. The 6th/7th lost 29 killed and 140 wounded at Murfreesboro, had 16 disabled at Ringgold Gap, totalled 314 men and 265 arms in December, 1863, and sustained 66 casualties at the Battle of Atlanta. Only a remnant surrendered on April 26, 1865.
Colonels D. A. Gillespie and Robert G. Shaver; Lieutenant Colonels W. R. Cain, John M. Dean, James Rutherford, and Peter Snyder; and Majors John A. Hill, James T. Martin, and John C. McCauley.