Chambers County was created by an act of the Alabama General Assembly on Dec. 18, 1832 from Creek Nation territory. It is located in the east-central portion of the state, and is bounded on the east by the Chattahoochee River. The county is named for Henry Chambers, a U.S. Senator from Alabama (1825-26). The location of the county seat was selected in 1833 and the town of LaFayette was built specifically for that purpose.
The earliest census record available (1850) shows 23,960 people with 1300 surnames with about 30 variations in spellings. Land records date back to the 1830s and from these records we may determine the earliest settlers. Chambers County suffered greatly in the Civil War with fully 1/3 of her adult male population killed. Today Chambers County is home to 36,000 people made up of 10,000 families.