The Civil War in Georgia
Cook, C. H. ( - 1903)
C. H. enlisted in the 4th Cavalry Regiment - Co. I. He enlisted in Lowndes County. He is buried in the Hempstead Cemetery in Colquitt County. A Cross of Honor marks his grave.
Cook, Brig. Gen. Philip (30 JUL 1817 - 22 MAY 1894)
Brigadier-General Philip Cook was born July 30, 1817, on his father's farm in Twigg county, Ga. He attended the old-field schools of his county, at the age of fifteen entered the academy of Milton Wilder, at Jeffersonville, and afterward was a student at Forsyth, Ga., until 1836, when he adventurously enlisted in Capt. W. A. Black's company, one of the five raised for the Seminole war. He was in that part of General Scott's command that rescued General Gaines when surrounded by the Seminoles. At the expiration of his term of enlistment he entered Oglethorpe University, Baldwin county, and after three years entered the University of Virginia, which he attended until 1841, when he returned home on account of his father's death. He practiced law at Forsyth three years and then moved to Oglethorpe, where he resided until 1861. Being an honorary member of the Macon county volunteers, he went with that company when it responded to Governor Brown's call, and with nineteen other companies was mustered into service at Augusta, Ga., in May, 1861. They were sent to Portsmouth, Va., and his company was assigned to the Fourth Georgia infantry. Private Cook was then appointed adjutant of the regiment, and he served as such until after the Seven Days' battles around Richmond, when he was, upon the unanimous recommendation of the officers of the regiment, commissioned lieutenant-colonel. He was painfully wounded at Malvern Hill by the fragment of a shell. After the campaigns of Second Manassas and Sharpsburg he was commissioned colonel, November 1, 1862. He commanded his regiment at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, in the latter battle receiving a wound in the leg by a minie ball which disabled him for three months. During this period. he was in hospital at Richmond and subsequently at his home, and was elected to the State senate, in which he served forty days. Upon recovery he rejoined his command at Orange Court House. He returned to Georgia to serve out his term in the senate during the session of 1864, and then went back to the army. Upon the death of General Doles at Cold Harbor, Colonel Cook was promoted to brigadier-general, his commission bearing date August 5, 1864. He was in Early's Valley campaign, at the close of which he went down to Petersburg, where he was wounded in the right elbow and captured. He lay in the Petersburg hospital until July 30, 1865. Upon his recovery he returned to Oglethorpe, Ga., resumed his law practice, and in 1870 removed to Americus, where he practiced for ten years. He then withdrew from his profession and retired to his farm. In 1882 he was appointed by Governor McDaniel, one of five commissioners to superintend the erection of the present State capitol. The appropriation for the erection of this building was $1,000,000. Out of this, $20,000 was paid for a portion of the site, and when the building was completed, the commissioners returned to the treasury $118.50. General Cook then returned to his farm, where he remained until 1890, when Gov. John B. Gordon appointed him secretary of state to fill the vacancy occasioned by the death of Maj. M. C. Barnett. To the same office General Cook was elected in 1890 and 1892. He was elected to the Thirty-seventh Congress, but was denied his seat. In 1872 he was elec ted to the Forty-second Congress from the Third district, and was returned three times, serving until 1882. General Cook died at Atlanta, May 22, 1894, at the home of his daughter Lucy, wife of W. L. Peel.
The Civil War in Georgia © - 1998 Eastern Digital Resources