The Georgia 55th Infantry Regiment completed its organization at Camp Randolph, Georgia, in July, 1862. Members of the 55th were enrolled from Randolph, Greene, Dooly, Miller, Hall, Walker, Meriwether, Spalding, Coweta, and Gwinnett, counties. The first Commander, Col. C. B. Harkie was not very well liked by any of his men.
Most of this regiment were captured at Cumberland Gap, Sept. 9, 1863, and the men sent to Camp Douglas. The officers were sent to Johnson’s Island. Those not captured at Cumberland Gap were consolidated into three companies and served as guards at the prisoner of war camps at Andersonville, Georgia and Salisbury, North Carolina. In March, 1865, the detachments of the regiment were ordered to report to General Johnston in North Carolina, but the war ended before the order could be obeyed.