The Mississippi 1st Cavalry Battalion was formed during the summer of 1861 and served in the Western Department and the Army of the Mississippi. It took an active part in the fight at Belmont , then on April 2, 1862 merged into Lindsay's Mississippi Cavalry Regiment. Officers:
Lieutenant Colonel John H. Miller and Major D.C. Herndon
Western Department and the Army of the Mississippi.
The roster of this unit contains the names of 440 men.