This unit was also known as the 1st Battalion Mississippi State Troops Cavalry Reserves and the 2nd Battalion Mississippi State Troops Cavalry Reserves. This battalion of State Cavalry, four companies, under the command of Major Montgomery, served as scouts along the Mississippi River in 1864, until ordered in August to report to Gen. Wirt Adams, whose command they joined at Livingston. September 30, Montgomery’s Battalion State Cavalry, Reserves, attached to Colonel Wood’s Brigade, Wirt Adams’ command, district north of Homochitto.
Major W.E. Montgomery.