This regiment was also known as Ballentine's Regiment Mississippi Cavalry.
Ballentine's Cavalry Regiment [also called 2nd Partisan Rangers] was formed at Jackson, Mississippi, during the spring of 1862. It was assigned to Cosby's and F.C. Armstrong's Brigade, skirmished in various conflicts in Mississippi and Tennessee, then returned to Mississippi. In January, 1863, the unit totaled 259 effectives, but by February, 1865, its numbers were so greatly reduced it disbanded. The remaining men merged into the 7th Mississippi Cavalry Regiment.
The field officers were Colonel John G. Ballentine, Lieutenant Colonel William L. Maxwell, and Major William H. Ford.
Cosby's and F.C. Armstrong's Brigade
Second Brigade of W. H. Jackson's Division
Brigade of General Cosby, in Martin's Division of Van Dorn's Cavalry Corps
Brigade of Colonel Starke, in W. H. Jackson's Division.
Armstrong's Brigade, Jackson's Division,
Lockridge Mills, Tenn., May 5, 1862
Iuka, Corinth and Coffeeville, September-December, 1862
Van Dorn's expedition into Tennessee.
Spring Hill, or Thompson's Station, March 5, 1863
Lawrenceburg, Campbellsville, Columbia, Spring Hill and Franklin, late 1864.
Murfreesboro, December 7, 1864
Selma, Ala., April 2, 1865
Company F - Calhoun County