The Mississippi 4th Cavalry Battalion was organized in the fall of 1861. Following the battle of Shiloh, the battalions of Baskerville, Brewer and Bell, six Alabama and four Mississippi companies, were merged as the Eighth Confederate Cavalry, William B. Wade Colonel, Jefferson Falkner Lieutenant-Colonel, John T. Wright Major, succeeded by John S. Prather.
Also called Second Battalion and Pope Walker Battalion
Lieutenant Colonel: Charles Baskerville
William T. Martin
December 1861-March 1862: Central Army of Kentucky, Department #2
March 1862: Chalmer's Brigade, 1st Corps, 2nd Grand Division, Army of the Mississippi, Department #2
Cypress Creek Bridge
The roster of this unit contains the names of 465 men.
A unknown Field’s Company, Pope Walker Troopers
B Lowndes County McCaa’s Company (McCaa’s Rangers), Pope Walker Troopers
C unknown Abert’s Company, Pope Walker Troopers
no designation Lowndes County Sykes’ Company (Cozart Cavalry), Pope Walker Battalion of Cavalry
no designation Tishomingo County Roddey’s Company (Tishomingo Rangers), Pope Walker Battalion of Cavalry