The Mississippi 14th Light Artillery Battalion was organized early in 1863 by consolidating three batteries of light artillery. Serving in the Department of Mississippi and East Louisiana, the unit was stationed at Vicksburg and in July, 1863 was captured. After being exchanged, the men served with other Mississippi artillery units.
Major Matthew S. Ward
Listed at Grenada June 12, 1862, under Gen. John B. Villepigue. Two companies, 251 present and absent, ten 2-pounder breech-loading guns.
Company A, Ward’s Battalion, was included in the list of commands particularly distinguished at the battle of Chickasaw Bayou, December, 1862. C.B. Vance's and J. H. Yates' Batteries, Maj. M. S. Ward commanding, on the Vicksburg lines, Gen. J. C. Vaughn's Brigade, April, 1863.
Company C, McLendon's Battery, with Tilghman's Brigade, Loring's Division, January, 1863.
The Atlanta Campaign
The roster of this unit contains the names of 611 men.
Company A - (Capt. Vance’s Company, aka Ward’s Battalion) - raised in Panola County
Company B - (Batesville Battery) - raised in Panola County
Company C - (McLendon’s Battery) - raised in Tallahatchie County and Yalobusha County