Clements, and Brooks, the servant of Captain Sparrow, upon their taking the oath of allegiance.
They spurned the offer, and remained to share the fallen fortunes of their old friends and the playmates of their youth. Major Moore relates the fact that, when in command of the Third North Carolina Battalion, he sent his man, Harvey, through the country, then swarming with federal troops, to his wife with two valuable horses and a considerable amount of money. Harvey had every inducement and opportunity offered to desert his service, but he proved faithful to his trust, and returned to his master before his furlough had expired.
CRAVEN County, like Chowan, contained many patriotic spirits of the early age of the state, and presents a glowing record of history. Around its venerable metropolis, New Berne, are clustered many memories of rare interest. Here landed the Palatines, led by the Baron DeGraaffenreidt, from Switzerland. The name of New Berne was bestowed by them in remembrance of the vine clad hills of their native land.
Here, for a long time, was the seat of the Royal government, and from here were the affairs of the colony directed by the long and gentle rule of Governor Dobbs, and here his successor, Governor Tryon, held his vice-regal court, and erected a mansion more palatial than any ever before seen on this continent.
A drawing of Tryon's palace and its ground has been preserved by Lossing, and it must have been a most magnificent structure. Time and the accident of fire have effaced its beauties, but the stables are still in a good state of preservation, and are now used as school rooms.
John Hawks, the grand-father of Rev. Dr. Francis L. Hawks, was the architect of the Tryon palace. Martin, in his history of North Carolina, states this building had at the time no superior in America, and that he in 1783, in company with Miranda visited it, and he stated that it had no superior in South America. In December, 1770, Governor Tryon, for the first time, received the legislature in its princely halls.
After the revolutionary war, the property was confiscated and sold. It was purchased by the Daves family. J. P. Daves donated the stable buildings to the Episcopal church. One of Mr. Daves's daughters married Governor John W. Ellis, and after his death J. E. Nash, of Petersburg. Governor Tryon's clock is in the possession of Charles C. Clark, and is still a good time keeper. His writing desk is the property of Z. Slade. It is of solid mahogany, and in perfect state of preservation.*
About the year 1709, Baron Christopher de Graaffenriedt led a large colony from the Palatinate of the Rhine, and in September, 1710, founded the town of New Berne. He was born in 1641, and was made a land-grave of
Index - Contents