taken and executed on the gallows; not, however, until many, from the aged matron to the helpless infant, had fallen victims to the besotted blacks. This first attack was led by a colored man named Hark, on the house of Simon Blount, who was, at the time, a helpless cripple. Young Blount, his son, a mere youth, resisted the attack, and Hark was shot by him, when his followers retreated. For his gallantry on this occasion, he was honored by General Jackson with a commission in the Navy.
A sketch of the Wheeler family, who were long residents of this county, will be found in a Memoir of the Author immediately after the Preface.
David Miller Carter was a native of this county, though much of his early life was spent in Raleigh. He was prepared for college by Mr. Lovejoy, and graduated at the University in 1851. He studied law and settled in the town of Washington, and formed a partnership with Hon. E. J. Warren. He pursued the profession with great success. He was a Whig in politics, and strongly opposed to the doctrine of secession. But when the Federal Government announced the intention to coerce the States, he raised a company to serve during the war, which formed a part of the 4th North Carolina Regiment. At the battle of Seven Pines, he was severely wounded, so that he was never again able to serve in the field. He was assigned to duty as one of the three Judges of the Military Court of Longstreet's Corps, with the rank of Colonel, in which capacity he continued until he was elected (1864) by the people of Beaufort County to represent them in the House of Commons.
After the war was over he returned to the care of his large farming interests and the practice of his profession in Washington, where he remained until his removal to Raleigh.
Colonel Carter was a public spirited man. He devoted much of his time and energy to the cause of education, and especially to the University of which he was a steady friend and a liberal benefactor, and to the management of the Penitentiary, of which he was one of the Directors.
His health gradually failing, he repaired to Baltimore for medical aid--but in vain. He died at Baltimore on January 7, 1877. He married twice, first a daughter of D. P. Perry, and second, a Mrs. Benbury, one of the most amiable ladies of the State.
Hugh Lawson White, (born 1773, died 1840,) who became a Judge of the Supreme Court of Tennessee and a Senator in Congress, was a native of Iredell County. He was of Irish descent. His grand-father immigrated to this country about 1742, and left six sons: James, Moses, John, William, David and Andy--many of whose descendants now reside in this county. James, the father of Judge White, was a soldier of the Revolution. He moved to Knox County, Tennessee, in 1786, served as a General in the Creek War, was distinguished for his integrity,
Index - Contents