With the Centennial City of Charlotte, the Capital of Mecklenburg are associated glowing revolutionary remembrances. It was here that the first Declaration of Independence was proclaimed, on May 20, 1775. The heroic battle grounds of King's Mountain, Cowan's Ford, Ramsour's Mill are in its vicinity. It was here (September 20, 1780) with a handful of troops. that General Davie held the forces of Cornwallis in check, in whose retreat Colonel Lock was killed, and General George Graham seriously wounded. It was here, on December 3, 1780, that the "Fabius of America," General Greene, took command of the Southern Army.
Of "illustrious men," says Thucydides, "the whole world is their sepulchre." But there are some sacred spots which have been specially consecrated in the memorials of all ages of mankind by the holy halo which surrounds the illustrious acts of patriots and martyrs. Of these is Maranthon, Bannockburn and Lexington. History may well add Charlotte.
All hail to thee, thou good old State, the noblest of the band!
Who raised the flag of Liberty, in this our native land!
All hail to thee, thy worthy sons were first to spurn the yoke,
The tyrant's fetters from their hands, at Mecklenburg they broke.
One of the great landmarks in North Carolina history, especially that touching the Mecklenburg section, was the Queen's Museum, afterward called Liberty Hall, to which reference has been made heretofore, (see Brevard and Graham Genealogies in Lincoln county). We extract from Caruther's Life of Caldwell, the following:
"The history of Liberty Hall Academy is interesting to the friends of literature, as a bold and vigorous effort made for its promotion at that early day, and under the most discouraging circumstances, and it is especially interesting to Presbyterians, as being one in a series of efforts made by the people in that region, to establish a literary institution, not only of a high order but on Christian principles, and under Christian influences. Both before and after its incorporation, the Presbytery of Orange exercised a degree of supervision over Liberty Hall, as they probably would have done over Queen's College, if it had gone into operation; but precisely on what grounds and to what extent, does not appear. For this purpose the Presbytery met, during its existence, much oftener in Charlotte, and Sugar Creek, than in any other part of their bounds. They appointed committees to examine the students, and they co-operated with the Trustees in securing the services of Dr. McWhorter. They sometimes held part of their session in one of these places, and the remainder in the other. Thus having met in Charlotte, October 1, 1775, they adjourned in the evening to Sugar Creek. where theyoftener transacted the rest of their business. and among other things, they appointed Messrs. Caldwell and Reese to examine the school in Charlotte." Again: "Fourth Creek, April 10, 1778, Messrs. McCorkle, Hall, and McCaule, are hereby appointed to write a letter to Dr. McWhorter, concerning the Academy in Charlotte."
Index - Contents