and aurist in North Carolina, was born on the 18th of February, 1850, in Pitt County; the son of Richard Henry Lewis, of Edgecombe, who was the son of Erwin Lewis, of that County, whose father, Erwin Lewis, moved to Edgecombe from Brunswick County, Virginia, and was a descendant of Henry Lewis one of the three brothers who came to Virginia from England in 1695, and who settled in Brunswick, Charles settling in Augusta County, and John on the James River.
He entered the Freshman class at the University at Chapel Hill in July 1866, and remained there until the republicans broke it up in 1868, having completed his sophomore year. He obtained his first distinction the second session of the Freshman, and during the whole Sophomore year. From Chapel Hill he went to the University of Virginia, and there remained for two years, the last in the study of medicine. The first was devoted chiefly to the study of belles lettres, and he received a diploma in Moral Philosophy and French. He entered the Medical Department of the University of Maryland, in Baltimore, and graduated there in the following spring, March 1871. After graduation he was appointed assistant physician of the University Hospital and the following year was elected Resident Physician. Devoting himself exclusively to one branch of the profession--namely, diseases of the eye and ear, he became fitted for it by taking a course under Prof. J. J. Chisolm of Baltimore, and afterwards at the Royal London Ophthalmic Hospital, Moorsfield, London. He first settled in Savannah, in the spring of 1875, and was elected Professor of Diseases of the Eye and Ear, in the Savannah Medical College.
Married to Miss Cornelia V. Battle, daughter of Hon. Kemp P. Battle, on February 13th, 1877, he gave up a successful practice in Savannah and returned to North Carolina to settle. His license to practice in this State was obtained from the State Board of Medical Examiners, and he joined the State Medical Society at Salem in the following May. At the meeting of the Society in Wilmington in May 1880, he he was elected a member of the State Board of Medical Examiners, Dr. Hicks vice of Granville, resigned.
Jonathan Worth, son of Dr. David Worth, was born in Guilford County, N. C., November 18th, 1802. He died in 1869. He received a fair English education, at the neighboring "old field schools," being much indebted to William Reynolds for the solid training he there received. At the age of 18 years he was sent to the academy at Greensboro', where he remained for two and a half years. His conduct there was marked for his diligence and proficiency in his studies. His father being unable to continue him longer at the academy, he took charge of a school, near the residence of Hon. A. D. Murphey, in Orange County, and commenced reading law under the direction of that learned and distinguished lawyer. On April 20th, 1824, he married Martitia Daniel, a niece of Judge Murphey, and in January, 1825, he obtained his
Index - Contents