The Civil War in North Carolina

Reminiscences and Memoirs of North Carolina and Eminent North Carolinians

Bookmark and Share

children: 1. Richard Benbury, born in Raleigh, March 12, 1834; 2. William Lawrence, born in Raleigh, July 30, 1835; 3. Anne, born in Pensacola, April 20, 1837; 4. Joseph Hubbard, October, 1839.

        I. Richard was educated liberally, and graduated at the University in June, 1854, and after a course of study in chemistry, established himself at Chapel Hill as a chemist and druggist, and has been ever since engaged, except when absent in the army, which in response to the call of the Governor he entered as a member of the Orange Light Infantry, commanded by Captain R. J. Ashe, and was elected second lieutenant; went with his company to Raleigh April, 1861, and formed part of the First Regiment North Carolina Volunteers, Col. D. H. Hill, known as "the Bethel Regiment," and was engaged in the battle. He was promoted and commissioned as captain and A. Q. M. of the regiment. He was mustered out after the expiration of his term of service. He married in November, 1856, at the residence of her uncle, Frederick Stanton, Mary Stanton, daughter of late Gerard Brandon, ex-Governor of that State. They have had five children, and reside at Chapel Hill.

        II. Wm. Lawrence Saunders, the present Secretary of State, was born in Raleigh, July 30, 1835; graduated in June, 1854; studied law with Judge Battle, and admitted to the bar 1856. He moved to Salisbury, and resided there till the civil war opened; he volunteered in April, 1861, as a member of the Rowan Rifle Guards, commanded by Captain Frank McNeely, and ordered to Fort Johnston, below Wilmington. He was appointed a lieutenant in the Rowan Artillery, then in camp of instruction near Weldon. This battery was with the 4th Regiment North Carolina troops, and with this regiment marched to Manassas Junction, arriving there a few days after the battle. Having been appointed captain by Governor Clark, he returned to Salisbury and enlisted a company of infantry for the war, and took it to Raleigh for instruction at Camp Mangum; they became a part of the 46th Regiment North Carolina troops, Colonel Hall. In May, 1862, the regiment was ordered to Goldsboro', thence to Richmond, and then to Drury's Bluff, where it became a part of General J. G. Walker's brigade. He was twice wounded, once at the first battle of Fredericksburg in the right cheek, and at the Wilderness in May, 1864, very severely, the ball entering the left corner of his mouth and passing out at the back of the neck on the right side. In 1862 he was promoted to be major; in 1863 he was made a lieutenant-colonel, and on January 1, 1864, he was elected colonel of his regiment. His military career terminated at Appomattox by the surrender of Lee on April 9, 1865, when and where he was paroled.

        After the war closed, with his health and strength much impaired by his wounds, he returned to Florida and engaged in planting. In 1870 he returned to this State and was elected Secretary of the Senate, and re-elected in 1872, when with his brother-in-law, Major Englehard, he established the Wilmington Journal, winning great reputation as a sagacious political writer. This had great influence in achieving the final triumph of the Democratic power in the State. In November, 1876, he established the Observer. On the death of Major Englehard, February 15, 1879, he was appointed his successor as Secretary of State, which important position he now occupies, to the gratification of the people of North Carolina. He is keenly alive to the success and progress of her institutions. His recent letter, February 21, 1880, to Colonel John D. Taylor, of Wilmington, on the subject of the sale or no sale of the North Carolina railroad, was allowed to be one of the ablest arguments presented on that side. He is now in the prime of life, and may he be spared for many years of usefulness to his country.

        He married February 3, 1864, at the house of Thomas Barnes, near Marianna, Florida Call, third daughter of the late John W. Cotten. In July, 1865, his wife died. We have not attempted to enlarge this sketch by any display of the usefulness, ability or talent of Colonel Saunders. This can be done at some future time by abler hands.

        IV. Joseph Hubbard Saunders, named for his father, graduated at the University in June, 1860. When the war began he joined in April, 1861, the Orange Light Infantry, Captain Ashe. In December he was appointed a lieutenant by Governor Clark in Company A, 33d Regiment, then under instruction at Raleigh, commanded by Colonel L. O'B. Branch.

        This regiment was ordered to New Berne, and after General Branch's promotion, assigned to his brigade. After the engagement at New Berne, the brigade was ordered to Virginia and assigned to command of General A. P. Hill. In 1862 he was promoted to be captain; in 1863 to be major, and in 1864 to be lieutenant-colonel. He was in all the severe engagements of Northern
Page 448 of 471
Index - Contents
Featured Books & CD-ROMS