The Civil War in North Carolina

Reminiscences and Memoirs of North Carolina and Eminent North Carolinians

Bookmark and Share

Virginia. He was twice wounded--once at second Manassas in the right shoulder, and again at Gettysburg, very severely; the ball entered the left nostril and passing out the left ear. His wound was supposed to be mortal, and he was left on the field. He was captured by the enemy and carried to Chester Hospital, and after some months to Johnson's Island, where he was imprisoned until March, 1865. He was then paroled for exchange and returned home. He resides with his mother, unmarried.

        William Ruffin Cox was born in Scotland Neck, North Carolina; he removed to Tennessee, and was educated at Franklin College, near Nashville; after graduating he became a student of the Lebanon Law School, and being licensed to practice, opened an office in Nashville. Before the civil war began he had returned to North Carolina, and settled in Edgecombe County, where he engaged himself in agricultural interests. In the civil war he was early commissioned major of the 2d North Carolina State troops, and soon attained the rank of brigadier-general in the armies of the Confederacy, and commanded his division in the last charge of the Army of Northern Virginia a few hours before the flag of truce announced the surrender at Appomattox. And so North Carolina justly claims that at Bethel she bore the first assault at arms, and at Appomattox she fired the last gun in defense of the liberties of the South.

        Since the war General Cox returned to the practice of the law at Raleigh; for six years he was the solicitor of the Metropolitan district, and afterward he was appointed judge of the Superior Court for the same district, which he resigned to canvass his district for election to the United States House of Representatives; he was elected to the 47th Congress over Moses A. Bledsoe. General Cox is one of the trustees of the University of the South; was a delegate to the Democratic convention which met in New York, and was elected to the St. Louis Democratic convention but declined the honor, and for several years was chairman of the State Democratic convention. In every public position to which he has been called his course has been marked with fidelity, integrity and talent. His first wife was Penelope, daughter of James S. Battle; his second wife is a daughter of Bishop Lyman.

        Octavius Coke resides in Raleigh, a member of the legal profession. He is a native of Virginia, born at Williamsburg, October 4, 1840. Educated at William and Mary College, he studied law and became a member of the bar in 1860. When the civil war began he enlisted in the 32d Virginia Infantry, and soon attained the rank of captain, and so served during the whole contest. He was severely wounded at the battle of Sharpsburg and of Five Forks. When the war ended he settled in Chowan County, where he married Miss Wood. He was a Democratic elector in 1872, and a member of the State Senate in 1876. He has now permanently located in Raleigh, (1880,) and is chairman of the State Democraticcommittee. His brother, Richard Coke, became Governor of the State of Texas, and now represents that State in the United States Senate.

        A sketch of Dr. Richard H. Lewis, the celebrated oculist, will be found in Pitt County, of which he is a native.

        Donald William Bain is a native of Raleigh, born April 2, 1841. Educated at Mr. Lovejoy's Academy. He entered the service of the State in the office of comptroller under Governor Brogden, in 1857, where he served until appointed chief clerk of the treasury, which position he now holds. In February, 1867, he was appointed Grand Secretary of the Grand Lodge of North Carolina. The systematic business habits he has used render his services invaluable and most satisfactory; he has the regard and confidence of every one who knows him.

        Hon. Kemp P. Battle in his centennial address, "Early History of Raleigh," page 44, says of insurrections: It is impossible for us to imagine what terror rumors of insurrections among slaves caused our ancestors. They created a wild panic in which reason and sense had no part. We find such rumors common in the early part of the century. The most notable was in June, 1802, when the discovery that one Frank Sumner had embodied a company of thirteen men under his leadership as captain, threw the whole country from Tar river to the Atlantic into consternation. Volunteer companies were organized for patrolling and arresting suspected persons. Martial law reigned supreme. The writ of habeas corpus was suspended in practice, though not by law, as to the negro race. At the time one hundred men were locked up in Martin County jail. Captain Frank Sumner for his ill-timed ambition was promptly hung by judgment of a special court, and his deluded followers were glad to escape--one with the loss of his ears, one with branding, the rest with flogging.

        A similar panic about that time occurred in
Page 449 of 471
Index - Contents
Featured Books & CD-ROMS