The North Carolina 14th Cavalry Battalion, formerly Woodfin's Battalion, was organized at Asheville, North Carolina, during the summer of 1862 with three companies, later increased to six. The men were from Buncombe, Haywood, Transylvania, and Madison counties. It was assigned to the Department of North Carolina and Southern Virginia and served in the western part of North Carolina. In the spring of 1865 four additional companies from Buncombe, Henderson, and Transylvania counties joined the command. It now was also called
the 79th Regiment-8th Cavalry. The regiment fought at Salisbury on April 12 and disbanded near Morgantown on April 17.
Lieutenant Colonel James L. Henry and Major Charles M. Roberts
Department of North Carolina and Southern Virginia
The roster of this unit contains the names of 90 men.