The North Carolina 18th Infantry Regiment, formerly the 8th Volunteers, was organized at Camp Wyatt, near Carolina Beach, North Carolina, in July, 1861. Its members were from Wilmington and the counties of Robeson, New Hanover, Bladen, Columbus, and Richmond. It moved to South Carolina, returned to North Carolina, then in the spring of 1862 proceeded to Virginia. The 18th served in General Branch's and Lane's Brigade, Army of Northern Virginia. After fighting at Hanover Court House , it participated in various conflicts of the army from the Seven Days' Battles to Cold Harbor . It continued the fight in the trenches of Petersburg south of the James River and ended the war at Appomattox . This unit was organized with 1,100 men, lost fifty-seven percent of the 396 engaged during the Seven Days' Battles, and reported 14 casualties at Cedar Mountain and 12 at Second Manassas . There were 13 killed and 77 wounded at Fredericksburg and 30 killed and 96 wounded at Chancellorsville . Of the 346 in action at Gettysburg , about twenty-five percent were disabled. It surrendered 12 officers and 81 men.
Colonels John D. Barry, Robert H. Cowan, Thomas J. Purdie, and James D. Radcliffe; Lieutenant Colonels Forney George, John W. McGill, and Oliver P. Meares; and Majors George Tait and Thomas J. Wooten.
Mustered into service August 20, 1861, at Camp Wyatt, near Wilmington, North Carolina, and assigned to the Department of North Carolina
Renamed the 18th Infantry November 14, 1861 and reassigned to the Department of South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida and stationed at Camp Stephens, midway between Charleston and Savannah.
Assigned in March 1862 to General L. O'B. Branch's Brigade in the Department of North Carolina.
After Hanover Court House, the brigade was assigned to General A. P. Hill's Division in the Army of Northern Virginia.
In June, Hill's Division was assigned to 1st Corps, Army of Northern Virginia.
From July 1862 to May 1863, General Hill's Division, with Branch's, later Lane's Brigade, was assigned to General T. J. (Stonewall) Jackson's 2nd Corps, Army of N. V.
After Chancellorsville, General Lane's Brigade was assigned to Pender's Division of A. P. Hill's 3rd Corps.
After Gettysburg the remains of the division were merged into General Heth's Division.
Hanover Court House - May 27, 1862
Seven Days' Battles - June 23 - July 2, 1862
Cedar Mountain - August 9, 1862
Gettysburg - Jul 1 - 3, 1863
Cold Harbor - May 31 - June 12, 1864
Appomattox - April 9, 1885 Rosters:
The roster of this unit contains the names of 2962 men.
Company A (The "German Volunteers") New Hanover, Bladen, and Catawba Counties
Company B (The "Bladen Light Infantry") Bladen County
Company C (The "Columbus Guards No. 3") Columbus County
Company D (The "Robeson Rifle Guard") Robeson County
Company E (The "Moore's Creek Rifle Guards") New Hanover County
Company F (The "Scotch Boys") Richmond County
Company G (The "Wilmington Light Infantry") New Hanover County
Company H (The "Columbus Guards No. 1") Columbus County
Company I (The "Wilmington Rifle Guards") New Hanover County
Company K (The "Bladen Guards") Bladen County Bibliography for Research: