5th Regiment, New Hampshire Infantry Regiment



 


HISTORICAL NOTES:

The 5th, composed of men from all parts of the state, was mustered in at Concord Oct. 12 to 26, 1861, for three years' service. The original members, not reenlisted, were mustered out at Concord, Oct 29, 1864, the reenlisted men and recruits at Alexandria, Va., June 28, 1865. The 5th was made a battalion of eight companies, original members 1,002, recruits and transferred men 1,560, total strength 2,562. The number killed or died of wounds was 295 and other deaths numbered 176. The regiment left the state for Bladensburg, Md., Oct. 29, 1861, and became at once a part of the Army of the Potomac, wintering near Alexandria, Va. It built the famous "Grapevine bridge" across the Chickahominy and met its first severe losses at Fair Oaks, June 1, 1862; was engaged at Peach Orchard, Savage Station, White Oak swamp and Malvern hill; was in advance at Boonesboro and met with heavy losses at Antietam and Marye's heights, where its dead were found near the noted stone wall. Gen. Hancock reports their conduct as "heroic." The 5th soon won a reputation for hard fighting that caused it often to be assigned to some post of danger and it never failed to acquit itself with honor. A detail of picked troops supported the cavalry at Beverly ford and Brandy station, Va., and rejoined their regiment at Sangster's station. The 5th lost heavily at Gettysburg and on Aug. 1, 1863, was ordered home to recruit. With other New Hampshire regiments it was present at Cold Harbor, again losing many men. In the actions at Petersburg and at Deep Bottom, Gen. Hancock mentions them in orders for "Gallantry in capture of an enemy's battery." The regiment was relieved and moved to the rear about Nov. 15, 1864, and on Dec. 1 it was ordered to Fort Welch. It met with slight losses at Fort Stedman, was in actions at Dinwiddle Court House and Sailor's creek, Va., and fought their final battle at Farmville, Va., April 7, 1865. Few escaped death or capture, but on April 9 Lee surrendered and the remnant of the gallant 5th participated in the grand review of the Union army at Washington on May 23. OFFICERS:
Cols., Edward E. Cross, Charles E. Hapgood, Richard E. Cross (not mustered), Welcome A. Crafts (not mustered); Lieut.-Cols., Samuel G. Langley, Charles E. Hapgood, Richard E. Cross, James E. Larkin, Welcome A. Crafts; Majs., William W. Cook, Edward E. Sturtevant, Richard E. Cross, James E. Larkin, Welcome A. Crafts, Thomas L. Livermore, John S. Ricker (not mustered).

ASSIGNMENTS:

SERVICE:

ROSTERS:

The compiled service records of this unit contains 3443 men.

BIBLIOGRAPHY:

REFERENCES:

Dyer, Frederick H. - A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion

Featured Books & CD-ROMS