"The Third National C. S. A. "
- Never Surrender!


Because it could be mistaken for a flag of truce, the Stainless Banner was modifed to include a red bar on the fly. It was to be 1/4 of the area of the flag beyond the now rectangular canton. The width was to be 2/3 of length. The canton was to be 3/5 of width and 1/3 of length. This was signed into law on March 4, 1865.

For the last several months of the war it was modified by the addition of a red vertical stripe on the hoist. This was called the Third Confederate Flag or Last Confederate Flag. The canton was used as as a Naval Jack. In a square design, with a pink, orange and finally white 2" border, it was used by the Army of Northern Virginia, the main army of the South, led by Robert E. Lee, as a cavalry, artillary and infantry battle flag, depending on size (39",45" or 51" square). This would have been the one that saw the most use as it was employed by the largest number of units and involved in the largest number of battles. The pink and orange borders used bunting captured at the naval yard in Norfolk. Upon production of material in the South, white was used. One of the first two flags given to General Lee was sewn by two sisters from Alexander, Va. They belonged to a well known family and one of the main streets in Richmond, Carey Street bears their name. The other was sewn by their cousin, a Miss Carey in occupied territory (Baltimore, Md, where there also exists a Carey Street). So that in the two adjoining cities the women who contributed to the Lost Cause are honored.

Few flags of this version were issued and few survived.

The Civil War in South Carolina © - 1998 Eastern Digital Resources

The Civil War in South Carolina