This regiment was formed by the increase of the 2nd Artillery Battalion to a regiment about April 1862. Company D served as light artillery. The remainder of the regiment served as heavy artillery and infantry. The regiment was also known as the 1st Artillery Regiment. The 2nd Artillery Regiment spent the majority of the war in and around Charleston.
The 2nd Heavy Artillery Regiment was organized at Charleston, South Carolina, during the spring of 1862 using the 2nd South Carolina Artillery Battalion as its nucleus. Many of the men were recruited in the counties of Sumter, Darlington, and Charleston. Attached to the Department of South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida, the unit served at the forts and batteries around Charleston. In 1865 it was converted to infantry and, assigned to General Elliott's Brigade, took part in the North Carolina Campaign. During the operations on Morris Island , July 10 to September 6, 1863, the regiment lost 2 killed, 15 wounded, and 1 missing. It surrendered with the Army of Tennessee.
Apparently the 2nd South Carolina artillery had a good number of their
command from around Orangeburg. On the day before Sherman began
his march into South Carolina, Company B of the Second SC Artillery was
listed as an "Non brigaded" unit. So apparently they were not brigaded with
anyone. In Mark Bradley's "Last stand in the Carolinas" book, he lists the
2nd SC heavy artillery as being part of Elliot's brigade in Taliaferro's
division(Hardee's corps). He reports them as being at Averasboro and
Bentonville in March.
This unit did not fight in the Orangeburg area. The only infantry who took
part in the skirmish at Orangeburg would have been members of Stovall's and
Pettus's brigades of the Army of Tennessee(Stevenson's division, Lee's corps)
and elements of Young's Georgia Cavalry brigade. The only artillery here was
Lafayette's battery(Kanapaux's battery). However the 2nd SC Artillery was
one of the units converted to infantry.
Many of the members of the 2nd SC Artillery are buried around the Orangeburg area.
The battalion was surrendered by Gen. Joseph E. Johnston as Durham Station, Orange County, NC on April 26, 1865.
Colonels: Thomas G. Lamar
A.D. Fredrick (Frederick)
Lieutenant Colonels: A.D. Fredrick (Frederick)
J. Wesley (Welmsley) Brown
J. Wesley (Welmsley) Brown
F. F. Warley
E. J. Felder, Capt. (Assistant Quartermaster)
E. J. Fredrick (Adjutant.)
T. J. Goodwyn (Asst. Surg.)
T. S. Grimke (Asst. Surg.)
Perry Hawkins (Chaplain)
Robert Lebby Jr. (Surgeon)
S. Muller (Surgeon)
C. J. Prentiss (Assistant Surgeon) Warley, Frederick Fraser - Major
J. Wyatt Lancaster - company unknown. Contact MHammond@studley.com (Hammond, Michael)
Joshua Seigler - company unknown B. 6 Dec 1827 D. 5 Nov 1905 Served in the SC 2nd Arty. Buried at Shiloh Baptist Church cemetery. - REF: EMAIL from Jack Wilson firstname.lastname@example.org (email@example.com)