The First South Carolina Regiment of Cavalry was formed in 1861 using the SC 1st Cavalry Battalion as its nucleus. The men were from Charleston and the counties of Abbeyville, Allendale, Chester, and Georgetown. It served in South Carolina, then moved to Virginia and was assigned to General Wade Hampton's, M.C. Butler's, W.H. F. Lee's, and P.M.B. Young's Brigade. The regiment fought at Chambersburg, Fredericksburg , Brandy Station , Upperville , Gettysburg , Bristoe , Kelly's Ford , and Mine Run . Ordered south, it served under Colonel G.P. Harrison and later Generals Bonham and Logan. It was prominent in the defense of Savannah and the campaigning of the Carolinas. This unit had 339 effectives at Gettysburg, but only 46 were present in February, 1865. It was included in the surrender of the Army of Tennessee.
John Logan Black (Lieutenant Colonel)
Lieutenant Colonels John D. Twiggs and William A. Walker, and Major Niles Nesbitt.
Dumfries (12 DEC 1862)
Fredericksburg VA (13 DEC 1862)
Occoquan River (19 DEC 1862)
Raid on Dumfries & Fairfax Station (27 - 29 DEC 1862)
Brandy Station (9 JUN 1863)
Gettysburg PA (1-3 JUL 1863)
Hunterstown (2 JUL 1863)
Bristoe Campaign (9 - 22 OCT 1863)
Mine Run Campaign VA (NOV - DEC 1863)
Chapman's Fort, Ashepoo River (26 MAY 1864)
Carolinas Campaign SC (FEB - APR 1865)
Moccasin Swamp (10 APR 1865)