Tennessee 37th Infantry Regiment
The Tennessee 37th Infantry Regiment, formerly the 7th Tennessee Regiment Provisional Army, [and also called 1st East Tennessee Rifles] was organized at Camp Ramsay, near Knoxville, Tennessee, in October, 1861. Its companies were raised in the counties of Coffee, Bedford, Claiborne, Jefferson, Grainger, Hamilton, Washington, Bradley, Blount, and Sevier. Company E contained men from Alabama. After fighting at Perryville , the unit was assigned to B.R. Johnson's, Bate's, Tyler's, and Palmer's Brigade, Army of Tennessee. In June, 1863, it was consolidated with the 15th Regiment. It fought in many conflicts from Murfreesboro to Atlanta , returned to Tennessee with Hood, and was active in North Carolina. During December, 1861, this unit contained 771 effectives and lost thirty percent of the 225 engaged at Murfreesboro. The 15th/37th lost fifty-eight percent of the 202 at Chickamauga and totalled 234 men and 148 arms in December, 1863. It was included in the surrender on April 26, 1865.
Orders may also be sent via U.S. Snail to:
Eastern Digital Resources
5705 Sullivan Point Drive
Powder Springs, GA 30127
Tel: (803) 661-3102
You may use this search feature to search either ResearchOnLine or the entire WWW. Google has indexed approximately 22,600 pages on this site.
The Southern Historical Society Papers
We Fought at Knoxville
Suffered Greatly by Privations
Til Shiloh Comes