Tennessee 44th Infantry Regiment
The Tennessee 44th Infantry Regiment, organized at Camp Trousdale, Tennessee, in December, 1861, contained men from Coffee, Grundy, Franklin, Lincoln, and Bedford counties. The unit fought at Shiloh and lost seventy-four percent of the 470 engaged. On April 19, 1862, the 55th (McKoin's) Regiment, which also suffered heavy losses, merged into the 44th. It now had a force of 489 effectives. After fighting at Munfordville and Perryville it was assigned to General B.R. Johnson's Brigade, Army of Tennessee. During November, 1863, the unit was consolidated with the 25th Regiment. It participated in the Battles of Murfreesboro and Chickamauga , was active in the Knoxville Campaign, then joined the Army of Northern Virginia. The regiment went on to fight at Drewry's Bluff , was active in the Petersburg trenches north of the James River, and ended the war at Appomattox . It lost thirty-four percent of the 509 engaged at Murfreesboro and thirty-eight percent of the 294 at Chickamauga. The 25th/44th sustained 95 casualties of the 259 at Drewry's Bluff. This regiment, attached to General McComb's Brigade, surrendered 5 officers and 53 men.
Colonels John S. Fulton, John H. Kelly, and Coleman A. McDaniel; Lieutenant Colonels John L. McEwen, Jr. and Henry S. Shied; and Majors Gibson M. Crawford, Henry C. Ewin, and James M. Johnson.
Orders may also be sent via U.S. Snail to:
Eastern Digital Resources
5705 Sullivan Point Drive
Powder Springs, GA 30127
Tel: (803) 661-3102
You may use this search feature to search either ResearchOnLine or the entire WWW. Google has indexed approximately 22,600 pages on this site.
The Southern Historical Society Papers
We Fought at Knoxville
Suffered Greatly by Privations
Til Shiloh Comes