The First Tennessee (Confederate) Regiment was raised in Middle Tennessee, in April, 1861, immediately after the fall of Sumter, and was organized with George Maney as colonel, and was, July 0, transferred to Virginia, where, with the Seventh and Fourteenth Regiments, it was brigaded under Gen. Anderson. The trip to Mingo Flats was the first hardship, and near Cheat Pass the regiment was first under fire. It participated in the movement at Big Sewell Mountain, and prepared winter quarters at Huntersville, but December 8 moved to Winchester, and early in January, 1862, amid intense suffering and cold, moved to Romney; thence back to Winchester early in February. After the fall of Fort Donelson, the First was ordered to the command of Gen. A. S. Johnston. Part was left at Knoxville, and part joined Johnston. The latter, the left wing, participated in the battle of Shiloh on the second day, but the right wing had been detained for want of transportation. After Shiloh the wings were reunited and late in April the First was reorganized, H R Field becoming colonel, vice Maney promoted. Hawkins' battalion was added to the regiment as Company L. The First was in Maney's brigade of Cheatham's division. July 11, 1862, it left Tupelo, and via Chattanooga moved into Kentucky, reaching Harrodsburg October 6. It fought on the extreme right at Perryville, doing gallant service and losing over one-half its men killed and wounded. It captured four twelve pound guns and had fifty men killed. It retreated south with Bragg, and in December was consolidated with the Twenty-seventh Tennessee, and later was engaged in the battle of Murfreesboro, where it lost heavily. It moved south, and in September participated in the battle of Chickamauga with conspicuous daring. Late in November it was engaged in the battle of Missionary Ridge, and then retreated with the Confederate Army. From Dalton to Atlanta the regiment was constantly engaged in all the memorable movements of that campaign, fighting desperately at "Dead Angle." In front of the First were found 385 Federal dead. The First lost twenty-seven killed and wounded. It fought on the 20th and 22d of July, and at Jonesboro August 19 and 20. It moved north with Hood, fighting at Spring Hill, Franklin and Nashville, and then retreated, moving to North Carolina, where it participated at Bentonville, and finally surrendered April 26, 1865.

    The rosters of this regiment contain 2,058 names.


      Maney, George
      Field, Hume R. [Name often spelled FEILD in the records.]


      Sevier, T. F.
      House, John L.

      Looney, A. M.
      Field, Hume R.
      House, John L.

      Quintard, Dr. Charles Todd


    Anderson's Brigade of Brigadier General William W. Loring's Division, Army of the Northwest
    Major General Thomas J. (Stonewall) Jackson
    2nd Brigade of Major General B. F. Cheatham's Division
    Mane/s Brigade, Major General B. F. Cheatham's Division, Lieutenant General William J. Hardee's Corps
    Major General William H. T. Walker's Division
    Major General Alexander P. Stewart's Division
    Major General William B. Bate's Division
    General Joseph B. Palmer's Brigade, Cheatham's Division, Hardee's Corps



    Company A - Nashville County - The Rock City Guards
    Company B - Nashville and Davidson Counties - The Rock City Guards
    Company C - Nashville and Davidson Counties - The Rock City Guards
    Company D - Williamson County - The Williamson Grays
    Company E - Nashville and Davidson Counties - The Tennessee Riflemen
    Company F - Nashville County - The Railroad Boys
    Company G - Maury and Hardin Counties - The Brown Guards
    Company H - Maury County - The Maury Grays
    Company I - Rutherford County - The Rutherford Rifles
    Company K - Giles County - The Martin Guards
    Company L



Hardback - $45.00
Paperback - $20.00

A Guide to Tennessee Civil War Research
    John C. Rigdon
Choose Hardback or Paperback

Ebook edition now available exclusively on Kindle.

Bookmark and Share

Google Web ResearchOnLine