Tennessee 12th Cavalry Battalion
The Tennessee 12th Cavalry Battalion was formed in September, 1862, with four companies, later increased to seven. Its members were raised in Hawkins, Greene, Knox, Hamblem, and Grainger counties. The unit was assigned to Wharton's, J.J. Morrison's, H.B. Davidson's, Grigsby's, and Vaughn's Brigade. It fought at Perryville, Murfreesboro,and Monticello. Then from June, 1863, to March, 1864, the 12th and 16th Battalions were consolidated into a field organization known as Rucker's Legion. This command was active at Chickamauga and in Tennessee, and on January 31, 1864, totalled 171 effectives. During April, 1864, the 12th had 234 members and moved into the Valley of Virginia where it was engaged at Piedmont. The unit went on to skirmish in Virginia and East Tennessee, moved to North Carolina, and probably disbanded in Georgia during the spring of 1865.
Lieutenant Colonels Thomas W. Adrian and G.W. Day, and Major Frank L. Phipps.
Orders may also be sent via U.S. Snail to:
Eastern Digital Resources
5705 Sullivan Point Drive
Powder Springs, GA 30127
Tel: (803) 661-3102
You may use this search feature to search either ResearchOnLine or the entire WWW. Google has indexed approximately 22,600 pages on this site.
The Southern Historical Society Papers
Campaigning With Grant
Heitman's Historical Dictionary
of U.S.Army Officers