Nicholas H. Darnell of Dallas, a congressman during Texas' days as a Republic, and unsuccessful gubernatorial candidate, traveled to Richmond in the fall of 1861 in hope of securing a position in the Confederate government. He returned to Dallas late in the year with authorization to raise a Cavalry regiment. The companies assembled at the fairgrounds in Dallas during January and February.
Caruth, Walter - Rank in Commissary of Subsistance. Rank out Acting Commissary of Subsistance
Cash, Francis D. - Rank in Private. Rank out Assistant Surgeon.
Coit, John T. - Rank in Captain. Rank out Lieutenant Colonel.
Darnell Jr., N. H. - Rank in Sergeant Major. Rank out Adjutant.
Darnell Sr., N. H. - Rank in Colonel. Rank out Colonel.
Darnell, Henderson - Rank in -. Rank out Acting Commissary of.
Darnell, Nichols H. - Rank in Sergeant Major. Rank out Adjutant.
Deicher (Diecher / Diker), Augus - Rank in Private. Rank out Quartermaster Sergeant.
Dornell, N. H. - Rank in Sergeant Major. Rank out Adjutant.
Dycher, Augus - Rank in Private. Rank out Quartermaster Sergea.
Embry, - - Rank in Surgeon. Rank out Surgeon.
Graham, A. H. - Rank in Acting Surgeon. Rank out Acting Surgeon.
Graves, - Rank in Quartermaster Sergeant. Rank out Quartermaster Sergeant.
Graves, James H. - Rank in Private. Rank out Commissary Sergeant.
Johnston (Johnson), Chancy - Rank in Private. Rank out Quartermaster.
Manion, A. B. - Rank in Private. Rank out Chaplain.
McKenzie (McKinzee), Hugh (Jough) - Rank in Private. Rank out Sergeant Major.
Morgan, Charles C. - Rank in Major. Rank out Major.
Ryan, William A. - Rank in Adjutant. Rank out Lieutenant Colonel.
Smyrl, J. K. - Rank in Hospital Steward. Rank out Hospital Steward.
Stewart, Robert - Rank in Private. Rank out Acting Surgeon.
Thomas, Woodliff - Rank in Chaplain. Rank out Chaplain.
Wathen (Warthin), William C. - Rank in Private. Rank out Surgeon.
Wigginton, F. M. - Rank in Quartermaster. Rank out Acting Quartermaster.
Worthum, W. - Rank in Private. Rank out Surgeon. ASSIGNMENTS:
1.Rust's - Parson's Cavalry Brigade, Trans Mississippi District, Department #2. ( March - May 1862 )
2. Trans Mississippi Department ( June - August 1862.)
3. District of Arkansas, Trans Mississippi Department ( August - September 1862 )
4. Sweets Brigade, Nelsons Division; District of Arkansas, Trans Mississippi Department. ( September 1862 )
5. Nelson's - Deshler's Brigade, Nelson's Churchills Division, 2nd Corps; Trans Mississippi Department ( September - December 1862 )
6. Deshler's Brigade, Churchill's Division; District of Arkansas, Trans Mississippi Department ( December 1862 - January 1863 )
7. Churchill's - Deshler's - Smith's Brigade, Cleburne Division, 2nd Corps; Army of Tennessee ( July - November 1863 )
8. Smith's - Granbury's Brigade, Cleburnes Division, 1st Corps, Army of Tennessee ( November 1863 - April 1865 ) BATTLES:
Arkansas Post, 04-11 January 1863
Chickamauga ,19-20 September 1863
Chattanooga Seige, September - November 1863
Chattanooga , 23-25 November 1863
Atlanta Campaign , May - September 1864
Picketts Mill , 27 May 1864
New Hope Church , 27 June 1864
Atlanta Seige , July - September 1864
Jonesborro , 31 August - 01 September 1864
Franklin , 30 November 1864
Nashville , 15 - 16 December 1864
Carolinas Campaign , February - April 1865
Bentonville, 19-21 March 1865 ROSTERS:
Company D was composed of men from what originally was Obion County but later became Lake County.
Bibliography for Research: