The Texas 26th Cavalry Regiment was formed in March, 1862, using the 7th Texas Cavalry Battlion as its nucleus. Its companies were from Huntsville, Houston, Lockhart, Galveston, Centerville, and Hempstead, and Leon and Walker counties. Considered to be one of the best disciplined regiments in Confederate service, it was assigned to H. Bee's and Debray's Brigade in the Trans-Mississippi Department. The unit served along the Rio Grande and in January, 1864, contained 29 officers and 571 men. It was involved in the operations against Banks' Red River Campaign, then returned to Texas where it was stationed at Houston and later Navasota. Here the 26th disbanded in May, 1865.
Colonels Samuel B. Davis, Xavier B. Debray, and John J. Myers; Lieutenant Colonel Medard Menard; and Major George W. Owens.
ASSIGNMENTS:BATTLES:ROSTERS:Bibliography for Research: