The Frontier Cavalry Regiment [also called 46th Regiment] was organized in May, 1864. The unit served in the Trans-Mississippi Department on the Texas frontier principally against Indians. It was formed with 1,240 men and in April, 1865, totalled only 102. The few remaining men disbanded prior to the surrender in June, 1865.
Colonel James E. McCord, Lieutenant Colonel James B. Barry, and Major W. J. Alexander.
ASSIGNMENTS:BATTLES:ROSTERS:Bibliography for Research: