4th Regiment, North Carolina Cavalry

Historical Notes:
The North Carolina 59th Regiment Volunteeers -- 4th Cavalry was formed during August, 1862, at Garysburg, North Carolina. Its companies were from the counties of Anson, New Hanover, Caswell, Hertford, Cabarrus, Bertie, Currituck, Wilson, Cleveland, and Northampton. Two of these companies had been transferred from the 12th Battalion North Carolina Cavalry. The 4th Cavalry took an active part in the conflicts at Culpeper Court House, Brandy Station , Upperville , Aldie, Fairfield, Hagerstown , Jack's Shops, Wilson's Farm, White Oak Road, and Five Forks . It had about 500 effectives at Gettysburg and surrendered 40 on April 9, 1865.

12th Battalion Partisan Rangers was organized in May, 1863, with three companies. Two were from Northampton and one from Bertie and Hertford counties. The unit skirmished in North Carolina, then moved to Virginia and on July 11, 1864, Companies A and B merged into the 59th North Carolina Regiment-4th Cavalry, and Company C transferred to the 16th North Carolina Cavalry Battalion. Lieutenant Colonel Samuel J. Wheeler was in command.
• Dennis D. Ferebee
• Virginius D. Groner
Lieutenant Colonels:
• Rufus Barringer
• Edward Cantwell
• James M. Mayo.
The NC 4th Cavalry served under the command of General Robertson, L.S. Baker, James B. Gordon, J. Dearing, Roberts, and Barringer. It skirmished in the Goldsboro-Kinston area of North Carolina, then moved north and joined the Army of Northern Virginia.

• Gordon's Brigade, Hampton's Division, Stuart's Cavalry Corps, ANV. Established on Sept 9, 1863. The first ever North Carolina Brigade consisting of the 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th North Carolina Cavalry Regiments.
• Barringer's Brigade, W.H.F. Lee's Division, Hampton's Cavalry Corps. May 1864-April 1865.
Kinston – Goldsboro, NC
Culpeper Court House (June 1-9, 1863)
Brandy Station (June 9, 1863)
Aldie (June 17, 1863)
Upperville (June 21, 1863)
Gettysburg (July 1-3, 1863)
Fairfield (July 3, 1863)
Hagerstown (July 16, 1863)
Jack's Shops
Wilson's Farm
White Oak Road
Five Forks (April 1, 1865)
The roster of this unit contains the names of 1807 men.

  • Co. A, Capt. L.A. Johnson's Co., Anson Troopers
  • Co. B, Capt. Jas. T. Mitchell's Co.
  • Co. C, Capt. Andrew McIntire's Co.
  • Co. D, Capt. Wm. Sharp's Co.
  • Co. E, Capt. Jno Y. Bryce's Co.
  • Co. F, Capt. Jos. B. Cherry's Co.
  • Co. G, Capt. Demosthenes Bell's Co.
  • Co. G, Currituck L. Cav.
  • Co. K was temporarily attached to the 7th Regt. Confederate Cav. Formerly of the NC 12th Cavalry Battalion
  • Co. L. Formerly of the NC 12th Cavalry Battalion
  • Bibliography for Research:

    For Additional Research