The Arkansas 15th (Cleburne's-Polk's-Josey's) Infantry Regiment was formed at Mound City, Arkansas, in May, 1861, and originally was called 1st (Cleburne's) Regiment. Some of the men were raised in Jefferson and Monroe counties. During the winter of 1861-1862, it moved east of the Mississippi River with 506 men and later took an active part in the Battle of Shiloh and the Kentucky Campaign. It then was assigned to Liddell's and Govan's Brigade, Army of Tennessee, and at Murfreesboro was united with the 13th Regiment. In September, 1863, it was consolidated with the 2nd Regiment and during December the 24th joined the command. The unit served with the army from Chickamauga to Atlanta, was with Hood in Tennessee, and ended the war in North Carolina. This unit lost 2 killed and 19 wounded at Richmond, and the 13th/15th reported 68 casualties at Murfreesborough. During December, 1863, the 2nd/15th/24th totalled 295 men and 202 arms. In July, 1864, this regiment was united with the 1st (Fagan's-Colquitt's) Regiment and in the Battle of Atlanta lost 15 killed, 67 wounded, and 3 missing. Only a remnant surrendered in April, 1865.
Colonels Patrick R. Cleburne, John E. Josey, and Lucius E. Polk; Lieutenant Colonels George M. Murray and Archibald K. Patton; and Majors Charles H. Charlton and James T. Harris.