The 1st Regular Artillery Regiment was organized during the spring of 1861 with men from New Orleans and the surrounding area. The unit contained ten companies, but there were a number of consolidations during the war, and in 1865 it appears that only four remained. A heavy artillery unit, it served at Forts Jackson and St. Phillip at New Orleans, then was part of the river batteries at Vicksburg. Here it was captured on July 4, 1863. After being exchanged and reorganized, it was stationed at Mobile and saw action at Fort Gaines, Fort Morgan, and Spanish Fort. On May 4, 1865, the unit surrendered with the Department of Alabama, Mississippi, and East Louisiana.